GENTAJECT 10% INJECTION 100ML
COMPOSITION: Contains per ml:
Gentamycin (as sulphate) 100 mg
DESCRIPTION: Gentamycin is an antibiotic belonging to the group of amino-glycosides. It has bactericidal activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria (including: Pseudomonas spp., Klebsiella spp., Enterobacter spp., Serratia spp., E. coli, Proteus spp., Salmonella spp., Staphylococci). Furthermore it is active against Campylobacter fetus subsp. jejuni and Treponema hyodysenteriae. Gentamycin may be active against bacteria which are resistant to other amino-glycoside antibiotics (like neomycin, streptomycin, and kanamycin). After intramuscular administration, within 30 – 60 minutes maximum serum concentrations are obtained. Gentamycin is excreted mainly by the kidneys, resulting in high concentrations of the active compound in the urine.
GENTAJECT 10% INJECTION INDICATIONS: Gentaject 10% Inj. is effective in the treatment of infections caused by micro-organisms, susceptible to gentamycin, occurring in urogenital, respiratory, skin, tissue, and gastrointestinal infections.
• Horse, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs : septicaemia, respiratory infections (bronchitis, pneumonia, broncho-pneumonia, tonsilitis, tracheitis), gastrointestinal infections (coli-enteritis of calves, enteritis, gastritis, peritonitis), urinary tract infections (nephritis, pyelitis, pyelo-nephritis, ureteritis, urocystitis), arthritis, poly-arthritis, meningitis, mastitis, metritis.
• Dogs, cats : dermatitis, arthritis, respiratory infections, gastro-intestinal infections, urinary tract infections.
CONTRA-INDICATIONS: Do not administer to animals hypersensitive to amino-glycoside antibiotics. Do not administer to animals with an impaired renal function or with vestibular, ear or visual dysfunctions. Do not use in animals in lactation if milk is intended for human consumption.
SIDE EFFECTS: Kidney damage and/or toxicity, with the vestibular function most often being damaged, when given at high doses and during long times. Respiratory paralysis due to neuromuscular blockade (at very high doses) may occur.
INCOMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER DRUGS: Do not combine with potential nephrotoxic or muscle paralysing medicines.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: For intramuscular or intravenous injection:
• Horses, cattle, foals, calves, pigs, sheep, goats : 1 ml per 25 kg bodyweight during 3 – 5 days.
• Piglets, dogs, cats : 0.5 ml per 5 kg bodyweight during 3 – 5 days.
These dosages preferably to be given twice on the first day, and afterwards once daily.
For intra-uterine application for horses during oestrus:
• Acute metritis : 5 ml daily, during 3 – 5 days.
• Chronic metritis : 20 – 25 ml daily, during 3 – 5 days.
For intra-uterine application for cattle : 2 ml once, diluted with 16 ml of an isotonic saline (0.9%) solution.
• Cattle, sheep, goats : 90 days
• Pigs : 40 days